Commission for a new work
to Quebec composers
Within the framework of a cooperative project between Quebec and the Basque Autonomous Community, Quasar - along with Musikagileak and Trio Zukan - is launching a call to Quebec composers for the composition of an original composition.
Note: A similar call was made for the same project for the selection of a composer from the Spanish Basque Country.
Proposal submission date: June 15, 2020
CONCERT PREMIERE AND REPRISE
The work will be premiered at the amphitheatre of the Gesu in collaboration with Le Vivier on January 27, 2021 by Quasar and Trio Zukan
The work will be reprised in the Fall of 2021 in the Spanish Basque Country (date and place to be confirmed)
A work of 10 to 12 minutes in duration for saxophone quartet (SATB) and accordion trio, percussion*, twixtu**
* Percussion instruments (to be confirmed): marimba, tambourine, flexatone, whip, conga, bongos (2), tom-toms (2), crotales, snare
** The txistu is a traditional Basque instrument: a three-holed recorder. A guide to instrumentation for contemporary composers will be made available.
- Quasar saxophone quartet www.quasar4.com
- Trio Zukan: https://en.triozukan.com/media
Guidelines to participation:
Documents to be submitted:
- Registration form
- Two recordings in mp3 format
- Two corresponding scores in PDF format
- A letter describing the project of the composition and/or the candidate’s statement of inspiration and intent (one page maximum).
- Biography, including a list of works.
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident. In both cases, you must habitually reside in Quebec and have lived here over the past 12 months.
- No age limit
- Candidates will be available to take part in rehearsals in Montreal between January 24 and 27, 2021 and attend the premiere on January 27, 2021. Terms of attending the concert in the Spanish Basque Country are to be discussed.
Project completion date: November 15th, 2020.
Announcement of the results: The jury's choice will be announced no later than July 5, 2020
Fee for the commission: $5000 (CDN)
Composition of the jury
- One member of Quasar
- One member of Trio Zukan
- An independent composer
Quasar is open to the plurality of styles and expressions and subscribes to values of equity and diversity in its programming.